What is a Regional District?
• Regional Districts are federations of municipalities and electoral areas
• They act in response to expressed needs, desires and instructions of their members
• The Board serves as a forum in which these needs, desires and instructions are expressed and explored by member communities
• Regional Districts take action largely through services
• Local government services in electoral areas
• Inter-jurisdictional (sub-regional) services to combinations of municipalities and electoral areas
• Regional services to address regional needs
• Regional Districts evolve over time to meet the changing needs in and of each region
Who is the RDN?
As a local government, the RDN is a regional federation of four municipalities and seven electoral areas, with an estimated population of approximately 160,000 (2017). The four municipalities are: the City of Nanaimo, the City of Parksville, the Town of Qualicum Beach, and the District of Lantzville. The electoral areas are as follows:
Electoral Area A: Cedar, South Wellington, Yellowpoint, Cassidy
Electoral Area B: Gabriola, Decourcy, Mudge Islands
Electoral Area C: Extension, Nanaimo Lakes, East Wellington, Pleasant Valley
Electoral Area E: Nanoose Bay
Electoral Area F: Coombs, Hilliers, Errington, Whiskey Creek, Meadowood
Electoral Area G: French Creek, San Pareil, Little Qualicum
Electoral Area H: Bowser, Qualicum Bay, Deep Bay
Want to know which electoral area or municipality you live in within the RDN?
What to know what services your area or municipality receive?
Check out our RDN Budget Talks Budget Documents, the 2019 RDN Budget and Property Tax Summaries are you which shows the services you receive, where the money comes from and where it goes.
Who is on the current RDN Board of Directors?
What does a Strategic Plan need to be?
· Affordable and attainable over specific timeframes
· A living document
· Representative of the Board and the people we serve
· Representative of diverse opinions and expertise
What does a Strategic Plan need to do?
· Communicate the Board’s priorities
· Provide a clear plan for RDN operations
· Set a vision and a clear path for how we will work towards it
· Reflect fiscal prudence and affordability
· Engage communities
How does the Strategic Plan work with the other guiding documents at the RDN?
What are the RDN current long range plans?
How does the RDN Strategic Plan work with the partner municipal Strategic Plans?
There are elected officials on the RDN Board of Directors from partner municipalities and they offer representation and a voice at the RDN table.